Sunday, January 20, 2013

Saturday's Free Pattern - Ribbed Newsboy Beanie

(click to enlarge) 

Size: Toddler (24+ months) 

Beanie:
1)      Ch 3 in magic loop, 11 dc in loop, join with sl st – 12 dc
2)      Ch 2 (does not count as stitch), fpdc in first dc (the ch 3), dc in space between next dc, *fpdc around next dc, dc in space between next dc* around, join with sl st to first fpdc – 24 dc
3)      Ch 2, fpdc around first dc and ch 2, dc in next dc, dc in space between next dc, *fpdc around next dc, dc in next dc, dc in space between next dc* around, join with sl st to first fpdc – 36 dc
4)      Ch 2, fpdc around first dc and ch 2, dc in next 2 dc, dc in space between next dc, *fpdc around next dc, dc in next 2 dc, dc in space between next dc* around, join with sl st to first fpdc – 48 dc
5)      Ch 2, fpdc around first dc and ch 2, dc in next 3 dc, dc in space between next dc, *fpdc around next dc, dc in next 3 dc, dc in space between next dc* around, join with sl st to first fpdc – 60 dc
6)      Ch 2, fpdc around first dc and ch 2, dc in next 4 dc, *fpdc around next fpdc, dc in next 4 dc* around – 60 dc
7)      Repeat round 6 until you have 17 rounds.

Brim:
-Mark st 18 away from joining st on either side -
1)      Join with sl st in the stitch before the one you marked with 2 strands of yarn, hdc in the stitch you’d marked, 2 hdc in next st, *hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st*until you have hdc’ed in the other marked st, sl st in the st after that and the next st.
2)      Ch 1, sk last 2 sl st, hdc in every st across, sl st in 2 st after you reach the end of the first row of brim.
3)      Ch 1, sk last 2 sl st, *2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st* to end of brim, sl st down to final row of beanie so that it is rounded off on both sides.
4)      Sc around beanie and sl st to the edge of brim on the other side (only sc around beanie, not brim).
Strap:
1)      Ch 37, dc in 3rd chain from hook, dc across, sc down dc once, sl st in dc, sc on other side of dc, sc across dc, sc at end of row, sl st in final dc, sc across the other side of strap, join to first sc, tie off.

-          Tie a button on either side of brim, attach strap, sew down if desired. 


6 comments:

  1. this is georgeous. Thanks for the pattern. I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it turns out well for you. If you have any problems or any questions just let me know!

      Delete
  2. Just curious you dont mention a hook size. What do you recomend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe for this one I used an H or I hook. I have a very tight tension so the larger hooks for me turn out smaller than they might for someone with a looser tension.

      What kind of tension do you have? If tight like me, I'd say nothing under H or I. If you have a looser tension I'd say G or H. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Yes this helped alot i think i have a loose tension but it is always easy to restart even though my hubby hates when he sees me do that lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helped! I have an extremely tight tension so that definitely makes sense. And I hate taking apart projects, such a pain :p

      Delete