Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"Spiraling Out of Control" Beanie


Not only will you be getting an awesome new FREE crochet pattern today... you'll also be getting a rad yarn review of Red Heart Reflective Yarn.

Designing this hat was my first time using it and I really want to design more with it! As I worked with it, endless design possibilities ran through my head. How much I enjoyed working with this material actually surprised me, though. When I first saw it advertised, it didn't catch my interest. I thought it was cool but didn't think I'd have much use for it. I'm kind of a "stick to material I know" kind of girl Plus, I thought the metallic piece might end up feeling scratchy.

I was pleased to learn that I couldn't have been more wrong, though! This material is actually very soft, has great stretch to it and can serve a ton of purposes. This particular hat was designed with the walking college students in mind. Come winter, when the sun isn't up as long, having some reflective head gear that serves the dual purpose of keeping you warm is exactly what you're going to want! Drivers won't be able to miss you and the hat is very soft.

My husband (as this hat will work well for men too), mother-in-law, sister-in-law and cousin (who doubled as the beautiful model you see) all loved the hat! My mother-in-law actually described it as squishy, it was so soft! She put it on and after a while I had to take it off of her so I could go get pictures and her words were "Oops, I forgot it was on".

Not only will you love Red Heart Reflective Yarn but now you have a new pattern to use it with! You can check it out at Red Heart's website HERE. Now on to the free pattern and check out the bottom of the page for a few more photos modeling it!

Special Stitches:
-          Side bar stitch – dc in indicated st, dc around post of the dc you just made – counts as 2 dc
-          Front Post Side Bar Stitch – FPDC in indicated st (should be the 2nd st of the previous rounds side bar stitch), dc around post of the dc you just made – counts as 2 dc
-          Secure stitch – sc2tog working in previously worked st and next unworked st (this way you are doing a decrease stitch but you aren’t actually decreasing)

Hints & Tips:
-          Continue rounds 5-11 until you have 13 rows for a slightly slouch beanie or until you have 15 rows for a longer slouch beanie.
-          When working the brim, you will be slip stitching in the back loops only which creates a very stretchy “knit-like” band. At the top, you ch 1 to turn, at the bottom, the secure stitch counts as a ch 1.
-          Continue on with rounds 5-11 until you have 13 to 15 rounds for a slouch beanie.
-     Please pay close attention to gauge. The bulky material and large hook make for a very large gauge and stretchy hat. 

Hook: K
Material: Red Heart Reflective (Grey)
Gauge: 2 st & 1 row = 1" 

Round 1) Using magic circle, complete 6 side bar stitches in circle, pull tight and join to first dc with sl st – 12 dc (6 side bar stitches)

Round 2) Ch 2, side bar st in same st as joining, fp side bar st around next st (2nd st in the previous rounds side bar st), *side bar st in next st, fp side bar st around next st* around, join to first dc with sl st – 24 dc (12 side bar stitches)

Round 3) Ch 2, dc in same st as joining, fp side bar st around next st, *dc in next st, fp side bar st around next st* around, join to first dc with sl st – 36 dc (12 side bar stitches, 12 dc)

Round 4) Ch 2, dc in same st as joining, dc in next st, fp side bar st around next st, *dc in next 2 st, fp side bar st around next st* around, join to first dc with sl st – 48 dc (12 side bar stitches, 24 dc)

Round 5 - 11) Sl st into next st, ch 2, dc in same st as ch 2, dc in next st, fp side bar st around next st, sk next st, *dc in next 2 st, fp side bar st around next st, sk next st* around, join to first dc with sl st and do NOT tie off – 48 dc (12 side bar stitches, 24 dc)

Brim:
Row 1) Ch 5, sl st in back loop of ch back down to base of hat, secure st – 4 sl st

Row 2) Turn, sl st back up ch in back loops only, ch 1 at top, turn, sl st back down in back loops only, secure st – 4 sl st

Row 3 – 48) Repeat row 2 until you reach the very first row, join last row and first row with sl st and then tie off. 




Also released this week: 

Click picture to go to pattern.



25 comments:

  1. I showed this pic to my college student and asked would he wear this. He said, "Yeah, I'd wear that. It's my style. " thar was my cue. I will be making this for h ok m and his other college friends. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! And can I say thank you for sharing this with me? It made my day!!

      Delete
  2. hey!! this was posted on my birthday!! teehee what an awesome pattern! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It took like 90 yards. I ran out of material in the last two inches of the brim so you will need two skeins to do this hat unless you go down a hook size but that will change the fit. :) Hope this helps!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to Joanns tomorrow. I sure hope they have some instock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having trouble understanding the secure stitch in the brim pattern. Hoping you can help clarify because I have the rest of the pattern complete and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'll do my best to clarify! When I think of the secure stitch, I think of a single crochet decrease... but instead of working in two new stitches each time, you put the hook in the last stitch you just worked and one new stitch. This makes it where you can use the decrease single crochet stitch but you don't lose any stitches so the brim stays the right size and doesn't shrink.

      Does that make any sense?

      Delete
  6. I love this pattern and the reflective yarn, too, but I need a little help with the pattern. In rows 2 and beyond, it starts with a chain 2, which typically counts as a dc. Am I supposed to do the side bar around the chain? If not, I always end up with an extra dc in that section on every row. I've started this hat several times, get all confused and end up pulling the whole thing out. It's making me very sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, the chain doesn't count as a st in the hat :) And when you join at the end, make sure you join in the first dc, not the chain. That might be where you're getting an extra stitch.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I don't make video tutorials at this time. I have linked to a tutorial on how to perform the main stitch used though. I hope it helps.

      Delete
  8. Where is the link to the tutorial on the main stitch please? thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for taking a bit to get back to you! Here is the link: http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-crochet-the-side-bar-stitch/

      Delete
  9. The next time I make something using reflective yarn I will try this pattern. I have made 2 beanies and a headband using reflective yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I mean wow! I just got this exact yarn today with the thought that it would be great for going on walks and that a beanie would be perfect, so I started looking online for a pattern and here I am! Too cool, thanks for the pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not sure how to do the sidebar stitch into the MC. Is there a way you can explain it so I understand better. Please and thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a tutorial video!

      http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-crochet-the-side-bar-stitch/

      Delete
  12. I just love this hat! I am making it with self striping yarn I had on hand. It is really coming out nice! I can't wait to get the Red Heart Reflective Yarn and make another one! Great pattern! Thank you for sharing. Lin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very lost. I've tried and torn out the pattern a dozen times. This just isn't making sense to me. This is a beautiful hat and I want to make it so badly but I am so lost. Do you have a photo tutorial or something or can you email some photo help? TIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the hat so much! I have linked a video tutorial to the side bar stitch in a couple of comments above. I would try watching it and see if it helps.

      Unfortunately, I don't have an image by image tutorial for this hat but if the video doesn't help, please shoot me a message with some pics of what you have and I'll see if I can help you figure it out!

      Delete
  14. I have made several modified versions of this hat over the last year and love the pattern! Right now I making it again and have turned it into a pumpkin hat to use as a fundraiser for my nephew who was diagnosed with leukemia. Thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I started this project (which I really enjoy), but seemingly messed something up, because the ribbing stopped "swirling" and goes straight down, starting from row 5. That was the point where I had a doubt if I skip proper stitch. Up to the row 4 I did the fp side bar stitch to the second part of the side bar from the previous round (the slanting one), wchich created nice swirl effect. From the description of the row 5 I understood that two dc stitches go in dc stitches from previous round, then I work fp side bar stitch in the FIRST part of fp side bar st from the previous round, then skip the second one (the slanting one). This is where the problem started. Maybe I should skip the first part of fp side bar instead os the second one? I'd appreciate your help, because I got stuck :-( I hope I managed to describe my problem clear enough (English is not my first language).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are having difficulties! Yes, try skipping the first part and putting the side bar stitch into the next one and let me know if that sorts it out for you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you :-) Actually I started experimenting right after posting my question and figured out that I get best results when I dc into the first dc, skip next dc, dc into the first part of fp side bar, then fp side bar into the second (slanting) part. It doesn't leave any unpleasant, visible gaps and keeps proper angle of the ribbing, so my work looks like the others on Ravlery ;-) I have no idea what went wrong at first, but I'm really happy to be able to finish this fabulous project :-) Thanks! :*

      Delete